Using Excel sheet to geocode xy (lat/lon)

01-18-2013 10:30 AM
MeganWeiss
New Contributor
I have an excel sheet that I am trying to geocode with no luck. First I tried in decimal degrees which is the format in which I received the data, but it was either not recognizing what I had or putting it in a different hemisphere. I now have them in minutes, degree, second format, but now it won't let me choose my xy since it says its 'text' Does anyone know how to correct this so that I can accurately map my data? Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardLaing
New Contributor II
I have an excel sheet that I am trying to geocode with no luck. First I tried in decimal degrees which is the format in which I received the data, but it was either not recognizing what I had or putting it in a different hemisphere. I now have them in minutes, degree, second format, but now it won't let me choose my xy since it says its 'text' Does anyone know how to correct this so that I can accurately map my data? Thanks!

Megan
Make sure your Excel column headings have no spaces or unusual characters and the cells are numerical. Keep your coordinates in decimal degrees. In ArcMAP add the data, then in the Table of Contents right click the data and choose "Display XY Data". In the window that pops up, under "Coordinate system of input coordinates" click "edit" and choose the Geographic coordinate system that you are working in. Click "OK" and it should add it to your TOC.

Rick
0 Kudos
MeganWeiss
New Contributor
Thanks Rick. I had tried decimal degrees before but that was also having problems. It puts my data far from where it should be. This data was provided to me by the state transportation agency. The coordinate systems are the same, yet the data still won't overlap. I'm starting to think that the data provided is very incorrect.
0 Kudos
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Are you sure the values are really latitude and longitude, and not from some other coordinate system?

Where is "far from where it should be"?

Do the values look like they desribe the place you expect the features to land?
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Megan,

Earlier you said that the data ended up in the wrong hemisphere so here are two things to check. Are the longitude and latitude fields labeled correctly? If you're using x and y for the field names, x = longitude and y = latitude. Also, if the data is in the US, the longitude values must be negative.

Melita
0 Kudos