Unable to add Z values to polyline array

11-05-2010 01:13 AM
erichfisher
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am trying to load pairs of XYZ coordinates into an array and add these data to a polyline feature class via the CopyFeatures_management function.  The output that I can generate includes the correct X and Y values for each polyline node, but the Z is not added.  I have tried everything I can think of to diagnose the error including enabling Z in the workspace.env settings, manually verifying that the point.Z values are being read correctly via the python debugger, etc.  As far as I can tell the point class is loaded correctly into the array, but only the X and Y values are passed along to the final shapefile feature class - despite being Z enabled!

Can someone please have a look at the attached code and recommend a solution to this problem?  Why on earth is the CopyFeatures function not including the Z values from the array?

Best,

Erich

Here's the Code:

import arcpy, os, cmath, decimal, math, sys, traceback

#various parameters
Workspace = "F:\\Mossel Bay Stuff\\MasterGIS-SAGRID\\Embayment Dune\\temp\\" #sys.argv[1]
arcpy.env.workspace = Workspace #"C:\\Mossel Bay Stuff\\MasterGIS-SAGRID\\Embayment Dune\\temp\\"
arcpy.env.OverwriteOutput = "Enabled"

infile = "F:\\Mossel Bay Stuff\\MasterGIS-SAGRID\\Embayment Dune\\temp\\Overburden_for_python.shp" #sys.argv[2]

rows = arcpy.SearchCursor(infile)
featureList = []
point = arcpy.Point()
array = arcpy.Array()
x = 1

desc = arcpy.Describe(infile)
shapefieldname = desc.ShapeFieldName

spatialreference = "PROJCS['Hartebeesthoek94_Lo23',GEOGCS['GCS_Hartebeesthoek_1994',DATUM['D_Hartebeesthoek_1994',SPHEROID['WGS_1984',6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Transverse_Mercator'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',0.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',0.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',23.0],PARAMETER['Scale_Factor',-1.0],PARAMETER['Latitude_Of_Origin',0.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]];-5623200 -10002100 10000;-100000 10000;-100000 10000;0.001;0.001;0.001;IsHighPrecision", "", "0", "0", "0"
Z= "hasZ"

zlist = []

for row in rows:
    feat = row.getValue(shapefieldname)
    pnt = feat.getPart()
    if x == 1:
        baseX = pnt.X
        baseY = pnt.Y
        baseZ = pnt.Z
        x = 2
    else:
        point.X = baseX
        point.Y = baseY
        point.Z = baseZ
        array.add(point)
        arcpy.AddMessage("easting= "+str(point.X))
        arcpy.AddMessage("northing= "+str(point.Y))
        arcpy.AddMessage("elevation= "+str(point.Z))

point.X = pnt.X
        point.Y = pnt.Y
        point.Z = pnt.Z
        array.add(point)
        arcpy.AddMessage("easting= "+str(point.X))
        arcpy.AddMessage("northing= "+str(point.Y))
        arcpy.AddMessage("elevation= "+str(point.Z))

arcpy.env.outputZFlag = "Enabled"
        #arcpy.env.outputMFlag = "Enabled"
        polyline = arcpy.Polyline(array, spatialreference, Z)
        featureList.append(polyline) #reset to append new points
        array.removeAll() #clear array for next iteration

#arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(Workspace, "F:\\Mossel Bay Stuff\\MasterGIS-SAGRID\\Embayment Dune\\temp\\polylines7.shp", "POLYLINE", "", "DISABLED", "ENABLED", "")
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(featureList, "F:\\Mossel Bay Stuff\\MasterGIS-SAGRID\\Embayment Dune\\temp\\polylines17.shp")
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe it is a bug?
NIM060284 - The Point class constructor arguments m and z are reversed.
fixed in 10 SP1
0 Kudos
GabrielHuot-Vézina
New Contributor II
I didn't test the code, but I know that when you add the array to the polyline, the hasZ value isn't "hasZ" it's supposed to be set as "True" or "False".

Here, link to function help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//018z00000070000000

Cheers,
0 Kudos