Transfering Attributes between Overlapping Polygon Layers ??

04-02-2013 06:03 AM
KassieKeeney
New Contributor III
Okay, I've attached a screen shot to help explain what I'd like to do.  I have a Parcel Polygon layer (which you can distinguish below by the red lines and PIN labels) and I also have a Landuse layer, which is the yellow stripes, tan solid, and blue solid.  I would like to transfer attribute information from the Parcel Polygon to the Landuse polygons, solely based on location.  Specifically, I want to transfer the parcel number to any polygon from the Landuse Layer that is contained by whatever polygon from the Parcel layer.  So for the image below, I want the yellow stripes and part of the blue to get the 21-36-100-009 number in their tables.  All my polygons from the Landuse layer are split by the Polygon layer, but there could be several Landuse polys within one Parcel Poly.

Is this something that can be done?

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23131[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Kassie,

Take a look at the Spatial Join Tool.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
I agree that the Spatial Join tool is probably the way to go, but take a look at the Identity or Intersect tools. Both these tools create new features by overlaying the input features, which may be something you want to do.   This blog about overlay, and subsequent blogs may also be helpful.
0 Kudos