Toolbox tools are blank - ARCMap 10

11-03-2011 05:18 AM
BradClay
New Contributor
When I open tools the tool page is blank of every tool. Ideas?
I already repaired, and updated. Nothing changed.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
I already repaired, and updated. Nothing changed

You may want to post this query in the geoprocessing forum. This forum is for ArcInfo Workstation, which mainly runs from the command line. Unless you're using ArcTools (not the same as ArcToolbox/geoprocessing)!

Running a search on 'arctoolbox blank' (without the quotes) turned up several forum posts with suggestions if you're using 9.3.

1. Downgrade IE from 8 to 7.
2. Rename the ESRI folder in the registry to ESRI_old (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/ESRI) which will force the keys to be recreated.
3. Got the correct XML files installed from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324460 ... didn't work.
4. Deleted Normal.mxt, renamed ArcToolbox.dat. Neither helped.

Melita
0 Kudos
BradClay
New Contributor
Yes, I have tried some of these without resolution, I will post on geoprocessing forum. Thanks Melita
0 Kudos
angerilayang
New Contributor

I have the same problem. Have you solved it? I can't reinstall it

0 Kudos
BradClay
New Contributor
I already repaired, and updated. Nothing changed
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Are you saying the ArcToolbox contains no tools, so the whole window is blank?  I used to get this problem in 9.3 and found that the only way to make them come back is to add the system tools. In ArcGIS 10 you would open ArcToolbox, right click anywhere in it and select add toolbox. In the look in drop down select toolboxes then go into system toolboxes and select everything.

Duncan
0 Kudos
BradClay
New Contributor
Are you saying the ArcToolbox contains no tools, so the whole window is blank?  I used to get this problem in 9.3 and found that the only way to make them come back is to add the system tools. In ArcGIS 10 you would open ArcToolbox, right click anywhere in it and select add toolbox. In the look in drop down select toolboxes then go into system toolboxes and select everything.

Duncan

Duncan,

The tools are there, but when I click on a specific tool the tool window opens to a blank grey panel.
0 Kudos
samg
by
New Contributor
Hi,

Im getting the same problem.  All the geoprocessing tools come up with a blank window!! Ive seen that this was a problem in 9.3, but all of the solutions suggested have not worked in 10.

Have you found a solution to the problem? Its very frustrating.

Sam
0 Kudos
StephanieWendel
Esri Contributor
You may want to try resetting your Esri application data and registry keys. Please follow these steps to do so:

Please note: Renaming the Application data will result in loss of folder connections, SDE connections, and toolbar locations since it rebuilds the template back to the out of the box feel. Also, editing registry entries can cause issues on your computer. Please be careful when making these changes.

A) Rename ESRI Application Data folder.
- Close all ArcCatalog, ArcMap applications.
- Browse to the following directory: C:\Documents and Settings\<user profile>\Application Data (you may have to turn on hidden files).
In Windows 7/Vista:
C:\Users\Username\Applications Data\Roaming(you may have to turn on hidden files from the control panel, go to Appearance and Personalization/Folder Options/Show hidden files and folders)
- Rename ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD.

B) Rename the ESRI folder in Registry.
- Start Menu --> Run --> type "regedit"
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
- Expand Software folder within HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD

The other good thing to check is if someone else in your company can log onto your machine with their username and password and reproduce the problem. If they also have blank tools, there is probably some kind of conflict preventing the tools from working properly. If they can use the tools, then your windows user profile has become corrupt to the install of ArcGIS and a new profile is needed for functionality to return.
JanuszSzmyt
New Contributor
It is not working in my laptop. I changed in registry ESRI into ESRI_OLD and it is not working. Blank window in tools (e.g. for composite bands) appears all time.
Can anybody help to solve this problem ???
0 Kudos