Toolbox issue

Jump to solution
07-24-2015 12:34 AM
JEHLStéphane
New Contributor II

Good morning folks,

One of my colleague had the great idea to do a right click on is toolbox.tbx file to open with WordPad, and he lets the tick box check with the option "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

His problem now is when, he launch a tool, WordPad open each time to bring answer from the toolbox.

Is there any possibility to bring back the association file as default? Or an order manipulation to re associate the *.tbx with the toolbox?

I try yesterday to turn around the problem without success..

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stéphane.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JEHLStéphane
New Contributor II

Samuel,

The answer from Microsoft is partially true..

Several keys have to be delete within the registry to get back the default association.

See as represented below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.tbx <- .tbx this is the extension of the Toolbox.

Remove the entry "a" and "MRUList" from the OpenWithList

Remove entirely UserChoise

Extension.jpg

After that, reboot your workstation.

Stéphane.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

launch Control Panel on Windows you can search for 'set associations' which should take you  this area

Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

then change the association... Mine says unknown application

GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

If Dan's suggestion does not work, you might try a repair of the ArcGIS installation.  Your colleague will need to have access to the installation files to accomplish this.  Here is the procedure:

1. Go to the Add/Remove Programs dialog of the Control Panel (May be called "Uninstall or change a program").

2. Right-click on the ArcGIS for Desktop program in the list and select "Uninstall/Change."

3. When the Desktop Setup dialog opens, select the option to "Repair."

4. Follow the remaining prompts to execute the repair.

JEHLStéphane
New Contributor II

OK, I tested several things.

Dan, you cannot associate the *.tbx with an Unknown application, because you want to assign something that's not exist and windows don't let you to do this action because it needs to be attached with an application.

Gabriel, I try the repair mode and restart the machine, but nothing change.

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II
JEHLStéphane
New Contributor II

Samuel,

The answer from Microsoft is partially true..

Several keys have to be delete within the registry to get back the default association.

See as represented below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.tbx <- .tbx this is the extension of the Toolbox.

Remove the entry "a" and "MRUList" from the OpenWithList

Remove entirely UserChoise

Extension.jpg

After that, reboot your workstation.

Stéphane.