Toolbox Copy Rows does not work properly

Jump to solution
10-21-2019 10:22 AM
FrantišekKekula
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you for your help with the Copy Rows toolbox in ArcMap which does not work properly for me. I want to create a new standalone table from feature class (points). I open the attribute table of the feature class and choose desired rows by the option Select By Attributes (by formula OBJECTID > 10). Then I right-click on the grey boxes on the left side of the attribute table and choose Copy Selected. After that I find the Copy Rows toolbox in which I set the feature class as the Input rows and generate the standalone table. However, this table contains all the rows (not only the rows with the OBJECTID higher than 10) from the feature class.

Could you help me, please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Copy selected is copying the selected rows into clipboard so you could paste them into say Excel or some other stats package.

Copy Rows geoprocessing tool will copy rows from a table to a new dataset. If your table has a selection then it should only copy the rows to the new dataset. If you are not getting just the selected rows then one of two things is happening:

1. You are accidentally clearing the selection before you run the Copy Rows tool. You can verify if a selection exists visually by looking for blue rows or if you are looking at a large table simply read the selected number as shown below.
  2. You are accessing the data source and not the table view in the map document which has the selection. So you access the table from the drop down, NOT the browse button which would be you navigating to the data source which has no concept of a selection.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Copy selected is copying the selected rows into clipboard so you could paste them into say Excel or some other stats package.

Copy Rows geoprocessing tool will copy rows from a table to a new dataset. If your table has a selection then it should only copy the rows to the new dataset. If you are not getting just the selected rows then one of two things is happening:

1. You are accidentally clearing the selection before you run the Copy Rows tool. You can verify if a selection exists visually by looking for blue rows or if you are looking at a large table simply read the selected number as shown below.
  2. You are accessing the data source and not the table view in the map document which has the selection. So you access the table from the drop down, NOT the browse button which would be you navigating to the data source which has no concept of a selection.

FrantišekKekula
New Contributor

Dear Duncan Hornby,

thank you very much for your reply! I was using the browse button. It works fine now.

Best Regards,

Frantisek Kekula

0 Kudos