I have started generating a grid over the features to be cached then executing the cache process on the grid featureclass. It adds an additional step, but the results are better. The help for the Grid Index Features tool is here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00700000000q000000
I restart the CachingTools service regularly also.
Hope this helps .... MD
I've just had some success on this (I think).
I had always assumed that the error related to either the cache tiling scheme -or- the Area Of Interest that I was using. Today I found that running a repair geometry on the FGDB source for the cache info resolved this for a number of sites that I had been having issues with (since 2014!!).
We are still on 10.1 SP 1 on Windows.
Hope this helps somebody.
The error actually doesn't tell much other than the extent at which the caching fails.
1. Upgrade to 10.1 SP1 Quality Improvement Patch. Many bugs and other issues related to caching have been addressed with this patch.
2. Examine status.gdb created in the cache directory. You can create a copy of status.gdb on your local machine and manually examine 'task status' and 'job status' feature classes by pulling them in ArcMap. These feature classes may convey valuable information (possibly an error) about the extent and level the cache creation is failing. You can then check for the elements in that extent which might be stalling the caching process.
3. The error may also result because of resource limitation on the server. You can experiment by increasing the no. of instances allocated to the Caching tools service. As a general rule the max instances can be n+1 where n is the no. of cores on the server machine.
"Upgrade to 10.1 SP1 Quality Improvement Patch "-- this got rid of my keep existing cache checkbox!
How can I keep my existing cache when i republish a service without this check box?
I am also getting the dreaded
"failed to cache extent: ... at scale 480
Field is not editable.
The index was either too large or too small."
was optimistic about this patch until I tried to republish my service and saw the check box to keep the cache was gone.
I was having this same issue also and I just wanted to post what solved it for me.
I was using a tilling scheme file to define the levels of detail for the cache. The full extent of the map document used to create the tilling scheme file covered a very large area (1:10,000,000 scale when the smallest scale I needed was only 1:80,000). I reset the full extent to cover only the area I needed to cache and recreated the tilling scheme file using that map document which did the trick.