TableToTable_conversion 10.3.1 no longer outputs INFO tables

Jump to solution
01-25-2017 08:35 AM
HarlanMarshall
New Contributor III

I'm moving a python script running in ArcGIS 10.0 to ArcGIS 10.3.1 environment. In that script we are converting a file geodatabase table to an INFO table. This no longer works the same in 10.3.1 as it produces a DBF table rather than an INFO table even though the output table name "taxmaster" does not have the .dbf extension.

arcpy.TableToTable_conversion("C:/Test//TaxMaster2.gdb/taxInfoSort", "//stgisgdb1/testdata//taxmastr", "taxmaster", ...)

Apparently output to INFO table is no longer supported in TableToTable_conversion 10.3.1.

Is this the case and , if so, is there any way to convert from table to INFO table?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I can confirm that this behaviour even exists in ArcGIS 10.5. It does seem odd that it won't export to that format and insist on dBase, especially as Microsoft are trying to kill of dBase in all their office applications... With the new ArcGIS Pro not supporting mdb's this is only going to get more painful for the rest of us...

What ESRI are good at is creating an excellent help file and with little effort I worked out how to create an INFO version of your table.

1. Run the Create Table tool and create your blank empty INFO table, probably using another table as the template for its fields.
  2. Run the Append tool appending into your INFO table.

So what was one step is now two. You could easily wrap this up in model builder and create your own tool.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I can confirm that this behaviour even exists in ArcGIS 10.5. It does seem odd that it won't export to that format and insist on dBase, especially as Microsoft are trying to kill of dBase in all their office applications... With the new ArcGIS Pro not supporting mdb's this is only going to get more painful for the rest of us...

What ESRI are good at is creating an excellent help file and with little effort I worked out how to create an INFO version of your table.

1. Run the Create Table tool and create your blank empty INFO table, probably using another table as the template for its fields.
  2. Run the Append tool appending into your INFO table.

So what was one step is now two. You could easily wrap this up in model builder and create your own tool.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The outputs are quite specific (no INFO), but the inputs can be many

Table To Table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copy Rows still supports INFO output, at least when I run it from ArcPy.  It is even explicitly mentioned in the documentation.

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

HI Joshua,

Unless I have missed something I cannot see where it states that INFO is a supported output? I then tried exporting a file geodatabase table to a folder (without a .dbf extension) using the copy rows tool and it throws an error.

This throws an error.

So from my limited testing I would disagree that copy rows supports INFO as an output.

Duncan

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My mistake, I didn't look close enough at the documentation.  I thought the support input format was the support output format.

That said, it still works for me using both the GUI and ArcPy.  I am running ArcGIS 10.5, build 6491.  From the Geoprocessing Results:

Executing: CopyRows D:\geodata\Default.gdb\Factors D:\geodata\factors #

Start Time: Mon Jan 30 07:27:58 2017

Succeeded at Mon Jan 30 07:27:58 2017 (Elapsed Time: 0.27 seconds)

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

That is weird, you are correct, run as a tool through ArcToolbox it throws an error, but from command line is works a treat! I tried the Table to Table too out of interest, but no such luck, that still spews out a dBase file. So Harlan has at least two options to create his info table.

HarlanMarshall
New Contributor III

Thank you all for looking into this. Somewhere between 10.0 and 10.3.1, TableToTable dropped INFO output.

You have given me another option to try which is exactly what I needed.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you look at the various online documentations, the references to supporting INFO tables as output dropped between 10.2.x and 10.3.x.

0 Kudos
HarlanMarshall
New Contributor III

I looked but didn’t find anything. That’s why I asked about it.

Thanks Joshua.

Harlan Marshall

GIS Analyst – Senior

Pima County

(520) 724-6757

0 Kudos