Summarise Within: Strange results

Jump to solution
11-11-2018 06:36 PM
JackSilburn
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if I'm misusing this tool, but when I run it I'm getting an outcome which seems contrary to my understanding of the tool.

Basically, I'm trying to summarise a point layer within a polygon layer. See screenshot below:

I would expect the result to be polygons with the summarised data of each point, contained within each polygon.

Instead, the summarise within tool is only returning one polygon:

Any insight would be much appreciated. I'm on ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is there by chance that you have a multipart polygon?

Open the table for your polygon layer... are there individual records for all those visible polygons? or is there only one record? (ie it is multipart.

The only other way you could have 1 polygon as output is if you havea selected polygon.

because

out_feature_class

The output polygon feature class containing the same geometries and attributes as the input polygons with additional new attributes about the number points, length of lines, and area of polygons inside each input polygon and statistics about those features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you overlaid the points onto the polygon layer, what other options did you choose? and can you confirm that there is only one record in the table of the resultant output polygon layer?

JackSilburn
New Contributor III

Hi Dan. See below config for the tool:

Here's the resultant data:

So you also think I should be getting more than one polygon?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is there by chance that you have a multipart polygon?

Open the table for your polygon layer... are there individual records for all those visible polygons? or is there only one record? (ie it is multipart.

The only other way you could have 1 polygon as output is if you havea selected polygon.

because

out_feature_class

The output polygon feature class containing the same geometries and attributes as the input polygons with additional new attributes about the number points, length of lines, and area of polygons inside each input polygon and statistics about those features.

0 Kudos
JackSilburn
New Contributor III

You could be onto something with the second part, because the process is working as intended now. Maybe I had selected a polygon without realising... Not sure.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
JackSilburn
New Contributor III

Follow up:

I've run the tool again with a different point layer, and the outcome is as I expected:

I'm getting multiple polygons with summarised data.

I'll mark as resolved if I don't get any further responses.

Thanks!

0 Kudos