spitting a polgyon to an exact size

Jump to solution
04-24-2015 12:01 PM
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

I have a 6-acrea polygon, in ArcGIS 10, and would like to make 2  3-acre polygons

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, I'm sorry but there may be trail and error with that method.  I believe there is a way to add vertices along a line. (make the feature more complex) I will have to check on that though.  I can recall one time I had to do this and it did take some trial and error.  I needed to create an acre within a polygon.

Given the amount of work to achieve the task, I would assume there is be a better way to do it, but I don't know what that method would be.  Maybe the parcel fabric as Chris and I suggested?  Then it becomes a cost benefit analysis.  Like almost any task - "what is the least cost path to achieve the goal? ASSUMING you're only going to do this once? or maybe once between now and the next software upgrade... or job.. etc. let us know what you find out in hindsight if it's valuable.

I may not be able to get back to this for some time next week though. Sorry I know that is not very helpful at the moment.  maybe someone else will come up with a more elegant solution, I'll think about it some.  If you should figure it out please let us know what worked best.

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Sol,

My team has enough of these split by acreage tasks that I should try

the parcel fabric method you fellows suggested. I've used it before.

You're right: are the amount of steps to set up the fabric for each one

of these polys a gain over just trial and error using your suggestions

of the meas and edit sketch tool? I wonder if there a precise, discreet,

way to add vertices on a line, like a distance, as we can with the cogo

functionality. I'm going to look at that, as well as try the parcel

fabric suggestion after work, today. I'll get back to you however it

works out. It was important for me to get your opinion to verify there

was not a really easier way to accomplish this. So, not having

something directly in mind is helpful to my team. I'm certainly grateful

for your prompt response.

Ken

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Depending on the shape and dimensions, this could be a very easy or a difficult task.  Could you give a little more detail about what you are wanting to do or possible give a screenshot of your polygon?

KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Ian, thanks for the prompt response and interest in helping me. I want to split the selected 6.00 ac poly into 2, each of exactly 3.0 acres. I don't have many to do, so I don't need to automate. I'm using an advanced level license.

I'm creating water rights maps for the Churchill County, Nv area.  Capture4.JPG

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have a Parcel Fabric, this could be an option:

Creating new parcels using divide by area

By proportional area

1. Specify the number of parts or parcels to create in the Number of parts text box. Parcels are proportioned into equal areas to subdivide the entire parcel. There is no remainder parcel.

ArcGIS Desktop

ArcGIS Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Chris,

I didn't think of using parcel editor. these polys are not in a

parcel fabric, but I'll try to use the parcel editor toolbar

Ken

0 Kudos