Spatial Land Use Question

12-19-2013 02:15 PM
GrahamHaywood
New Contributor
Hello,

I am a novice arc user.

I would like to use a model or processing task whereby I can calculate the area of land not being used by our organization.  The situation is that we have a jurisdictional boundary, and within the boundary there are parcels of land owned by citizens.  You can see the division in the following screen shot:[ATTACH=CONFIG]30021[/ATTACH]

I'd like to be able to subtract the size of the parcels in use (defined within a geodatabase) from the area of land within the Jurisdictional boundary (defined within a shapefile).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello,

I am a novice arc user.

I would like to use a model or processing task whereby I can calculate the area of land not being used by our organization.  The situation is that we have a jurisdictional boundary, and within the boundary there are parcels of land owned by citizens.  You can see the division in the following screen shot:[ATTACH=CONFIG]30021[/ATTACH]

I'd like to be able to subtract the size of the parcels in use (defined within a geodatabase) from the area of land within the Jurisdictional boundary (defined within a shapefile).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Use the Union tool to merge the two polygon layers together (into the file geodatabase, please).  Select all polygons where the FID of the geodatabase polygons is -1.  The statistics table view menu item can give you a summary without creating a new table or you can use the Summarize (or Summary Statistics tool) to get the area of the left over area.  These tools are available to users of all license levels.

If you are trying to alter the shapefile by permanently removing the overlapping polygons that are in the geodatabase, you need an Advanced license to use the Erase tool.  I doubt you have that license.
0 Kudos
GrahamHaywood
New Contributor
rfairhur24,

Thank you for your response.  I was able to carry out your suggested procedure with success.  Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos