Spatial analysis

Jump to solution
09-11-2014 01:32 AM
MORTEZAFIROUZI
New Contributor II

Dear users,

I am using ArcGIS 10.0.

I have a layer including 1,000 stations (points) and I need name (ID) of neighbor stations  in a specific radius for each station. I've tried all PROXIMITY options in Arctoolbox, but the outputs were not what I expected.

I was told that I have to use the excel to do it, but I believe it has a simple way in ArcGIS.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Morteza,

You can use Generate near tool ArcGIS Desktop and layer joins to achieve this,

Use your station layer as both input and near features. Set Find only closest feature. This will create a table with NEAR_FID column.

Next Join this table with your layer on NEAR_FID and your layer's OBJECTID. ArcGIS Desktop This join will give you your nearest station ID. Export IN_FID and station ID to separate table.

Next join the exported table to your source layer (remember to clear previous join) on layer's OBJECTID and IN_FID. This will give the nearest station for your station.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RiyasDeen

Hi Morteza,

You can use Generate near tool ArcGIS Desktop and layer joins to achieve this,

Use your station layer as both input and near features. Set Find only closest feature. This will create a table with NEAR_FID column.

Next Join this table with your layer on NEAR_FID and your layer's OBJECTID. ArcGIS Desktop This join will give you your nearest station ID. Export IN_FID and station ID to separate table.

Next join the exported table to your source layer (remember to clear previous join) on layer's OBJECTID and IN_FID. This will give the nearest station for your station.

Hope this helps.

MORTEZAFIROUZI
New Contributor II

Hi Riyas,

Thank you.

So, please let me extend my question in this way.

What if I want it in more than one specific distance (not only the nearest)?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen

In that case, you can uncheck find closest feature option and provide value of maximum number of closest feature to 2 (or any number you want). And follow the same process above to relate your station to nearest station.

When your relation becomes 1:n then you may want to explore relationship class ArcGIS Help 10.1 .

MORTEZAFIROUZI
New Contributor II

Thank you Riyas. Let me try and get back to you soon (if there is any problem) and if not I will close the question by 'Correct Answer'.

0 Kudos