Snap center of polygon to point

02-23-2011 07:46 AM
TylerMcPherson
New Contributor
Hi all,

I have created a feature class of polygons (rectangles), all identical that represent plots that were created in the field for a research project. I also have a point file with points that represent where these plots are with xy coordinates. Both layers have matching fields with Plot ID's to correlate them.

I can't seem to find a tool that will take these polygons, which are identical rectangles copied and pasted onto each other, and move these polygons (rectangles) onto the correlating point rather than manually moving them from where they lay now to the matching point.

Anything helps. Thanks!
3 Replies
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
This can be done with a spatial join > create new XY event > export event to shp ... refer to this post: Move Points to Centroid of Polygons
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
No tool that I know of, but you could do this somewhat easily via a Python script. I assume the points represent the centers of the plots. So all you would need to do is (using a cursor) compare the offset between the rectangle's centroid (x&y coordinate) and the matching (GPSed?) point's x&y coordinate). This difference represents the necessary shift for that particular plot. Then you just need to use an update cursor to alter (aka "shift") the vertices.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
square buffer around you existing points...versions exist, but you don't indicate what version of Arcmap you are using
0 Kudos