Simplify Polygon - How to determine the best Max Allowed Offset?

Jump to solution
07-23-2013 07:19 AM
JesseHopkins
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have a few geographies that I am generalizing using the Simplify Polygon method, and I would like to know if you all have any suggestions on how to determine the best Maximum Allowed Offset for a feature class that will be used within a particular scale range
For example, I have a layer showing the county boundaries of the United States.  It will only be used from the scale range of 10,000,000 to 2,000,000.  With this, what would be the best Maximum Allowed Offset, or how would one go about finding this?  Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
There is no answer.  You just need to work with trial and error.  You need to determine how much distortion you are happy with from the original polygon.

Perhaps you could have two copies of the polygon up at one time.  (from different sources) generalize one of them starting with small numbers.  if the amount of distortion is acceptable ctrl-z and try with a larger number.

A lot of it has to do with how complex your polygon layer is. 

Hello,

I have a few geographies that I am generalizing using the Simplify Polygon method, and I would like to know if you all have any suggestions on how to determine the best Maximum Allowed Offset for a feature class that will be used within a particular scale range
For example, I have a layer showing the county boundaries of the United States.  It will only be used from the scale range of 10,000,000 to 2,000,000.  With this, what would be the best Maximum Allowed Offset, or how would one go about finding this?  Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
There is no answer.  You just need to work with trial and error.  You need to determine how much distortion you are happy with from the original polygon.

Perhaps you could have two copies of the polygon up at one time.  (from different sources) generalize one of them starting with small numbers.  if the amount of distortion is acceptable ctrl-z and try with a larger number.

A lot of it has to do with how complex your polygon layer is. 

Hello,

0 Kudos
JesseHopkins
New Contributor III
Yeah I was thinking that was the case...just hoping it wasn't.  Thanks for your quick response!
0 Kudos