Simplify Line Tool missing Tolerance Option Box

11-21-2013 07:01 AM
RichardHughes3
New Contributor III
Hi,

My ArcGIS 10.2 Simplify Line Toolbox has not been displaying the Simplification Tolerance box.  The tool will work with Python windows but the gui tool seems to be broken.

Do tools break?  How does this happen and can we fix them?

Thanks,

Richard
0 Kudos
18 Replies
JasonGreenlaw
Occasional Contributor
Same thing goes for my Simplify Polygon tool in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1 - the Simplification Tolerance label is there but the input box is missing.  I was able to use the tool once properly, but after that the input box disappeared and the tool could only be run through Python.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29466[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29472[/ATTACH]
Same thing goes for my Simplify Polygon tool in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1 - the Simplification Tolerance label is there but the input box is missing.  I was able to use the tool once properly, but after that the input box disappeared and the tool could only be run through Python.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29466[/ATTACH]

I have the same problem on 10.1.
I should add, mine is the simplify polygon tool.

Crazy world we live in...
0 Kudos
JohnGallo
New Contributor II
I have the same problem in  10.1 (with Simplify Polygons).  Might be related to another recent problem, which was fixed pretty much with: a. Tried http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38099
0 Kudos
JohnGallo
New Contributor II
My colleague Nik Stevenson-Molner got the same (or very similar) problem and solved it by uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 upgrade, leaving the Internet E 10.  I tried that to no avail so far...
0 Kudos
LukeMacaulay
New Contributor II
I'm having the same problem with the simplify polygon tool in ArcGIS version 10.2.   Going to try the Python script now.
0 Kudos
JohnGallo
New Contributor II
Update, fyi, no action needed:

I rolled back to IE 10, then 9, then 8. all to no avail.

1) I started by doing a  full uninstall of ArcGIS from machine and reloading 10.1.  the original problem persisted.
2) I cleaned that installation and installed 10.2. problem persists.
3) I upgraded from IE 8 to 11, installed IE SP, and problem persists.
4) I�??ll keep using the script I wrote which calls the command, and works fine.  I�??ll keep a log of crashes/errors.
0 Kudos
MaxRingler
New Contributor III
I report the same problem!

Regards

Max
0 Kudos
deleted-user-w62FtnVKRvFc
New Contributor II
I figured out a temporary way around it until ESRI fixes it. In ArcToolbox, right-click on the Simplify Line tool and choose Batch. You'll be able to enter in a tolerance value there. The tolerance unit should match that in your projection. After you enter the number and move on, then there will be a unit next to the number so you can verify the units.

Good luck!
DebraParthree
New Contributor II

Thank you Emily, I had to bookmark this page to remind me how to access the Batch simplify!

0 Kudos