Select by location question

Jump to solution
04-18-2012 04:37 AM
NibiKhan
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have two layers grocery_stores (points) and neighbourhoods (polygons). I would like to select those neighbourhoods which have at least three grocery_stores. I am looking at the options in "select by location" in the selection drop down menu but nothing meets the requirement. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Regards,
NK
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
You can use Spatial Join to determine how many points are within each polygon.  The output polygon feature class will have two new fields added (Join_Count and TARGET_FID). Join_Count indicates how many join features match each target feature (TARGET_FID).  Then you can select by attribute those that have 3 or more.

About joining and relating tables

You can also right click the polygon layer in ArcMap > Joins and Relates > Join.  Select the option to Join Data From Another Layer Based Upon Spatial Location.  Then choose the points layer to join to.  The output feature class will contain a count field for each polygon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RyanForbes1
New Contributor III
NK,

There may be a pythonic way of achieving this if you're at all comfortable with it - but I think this might help you out:  http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/30779

I haven't done this myself but it looks as though it'll calculate the number of points within a polygon and then store it as an attribute in a layer - from there you could do a select by attribute where the value is >= 3
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
You can use Spatial Join to determine how many points are within each polygon.  The output polygon feature class will have two new fields added (Join_Count and TARGET_FID). Join_Count indicates how many join features match each target feature (TARGET_FID).  Then you can select by attribute those that have 3 or more.

About joining and relating tables

You can also right click the polygon layer in ArcMap > Joins and Relates > Join.  Select the option to Join Data From Another Layer Based Upon Spatial Location.  Then choose the points layer to join to.  The output feature class will contain a count field for each polygon.
0 Kudos