Reshaping a polygon

12-31-2012 06:05 AM
BrandyWhalen
New Contributor
I'm working with a school district and taking their current shapefile of polygons and recreating polygons based on the current census. What I need to do is reshape all polygons for a particular county based on block information from the census shapefile. How would one go about that?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WesKing
New Contributor
Hi Brandy,

I'm unclear on what your final result is supposed to be...Will the final shapefile be of polygons that match the polygons in the census shapefile, but they will also contain attributes from the county shapefile?  Or will the final shapefile be of polygons that don't match either of your shapefiles and will be created from scratch?

Have you looked at the 'Split' tool (Analysis Tools > Extract > Split)?  This will split up your county shapefile according to overlapping areas in your census shapefile.

The other possibility is to use the 'Identity' tool (Analysis Tools > Overlay > Identity).  I'm not sure about this one, but read the 'Tool Help' when you open the tool and see what you think.

Hope this helps.
Wes
0 Kudos
BrandyWhalen
New Contributor
Wes, thank you. I was a bit unclear in my problem description. The end result is a shapefile displaying various districts in a county. The district polygons need to be redefined based on polygons from a census shapefile. The county does not need any info from the census shapefile, I'm just using the census shapefile to adjust district polygon lines. I will try the methods you suggested. Thanks!
0 Kudos
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Perhaps you should look at using the census data features to create a new district feature layer. Dissolving or merging the census features into districts, and then rolling the existing district attributes into the new feature class may be the fastest way to approach the job.
0 Kudos