Remove Join Background Processing?

12-20-2012 04:34 AM
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
Is there a way to run the Remove Join tool through ModelBuilder in a background process?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Unfortunately at this time - no.

We encountered a crash with the tool when run in background (certain circumstances made it happen), as such we didnt feel comfortable releasing the product with the issue.
We were unable to narrow down the cause in the time frame we had to fix it, thus the only safe option we had was to make the tool foreground only.
We're actively working to fix it for the next service pack.
0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
Is this the same with Add Join?
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Add Join is ok for background.
0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
Ok because when I do, I run into a situation where the the results say that the add join was successful, but the tool stops running. In the map document, there is no join that was completed.

Also, is the remove join issue only for 10.1 or also for previous versions?
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not in a situation where I can test 10.0 easily, but I can tell you it was found at 10.1.
Its possible it exists in 10, but my understanding of the issue: I think its a 10.1 issue only.
(was specific to having table windows OPEN while removing the join).

Add Join got just as much focused testing during the analysis of Remove Join and it worked fine as far as I remember.

Are you running Add Join in a model, or just as a tool stand alone?

If you're using it as a model, you need to make sure all data input (layers) are exposed as parameters. If they arent exposed, the data isnt sent to background. And of course, if the data isnt set, background cant work on it.

This help topic, specifically Issue 1 explains this in more detail.
0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
I am running Add Join in a model. I was able to run it fine in 10, but encounter the stated issue in 10.1. I have attached the model that I was running.
0 Kudos