Re: Dissolve Error 999999 Invalid Topology Out of memory

7311
4
07-20-2010 09:18 AM
JoeChampagne
Occasional Contributor
This post is in response to the archived thread:
http://forums.esri.com/thread.asp?t=289514&f=983&c=93
regarding the following error message, received while attempting to Dissolve a dataset:
"ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Invalid Topology [Out of memory.]
Failed to execute (Dissolve)."

This may be a dead issue, but I'm posting in case anyone is still having trouble with this. I received this message while attempting to Clip a relatively small dataset to polygon study area boundaries. I was able to run the tool successfully by moving my input layers to a new map document before running 'Clip'.

This leads me to suspect the issue here isn't related to machine performance but rather some geoprocessing environment setting, probably temp/scratch workspace directories. I wasn't able to track down the offending setting, but hopefully this workaround will help someone!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthewFoster2
New Contributor
Thank you very much!  This solved my problem when i was receiving this error on a dissolve
0 Kudos
SarahWhite2
New Contributor
Thank you so much! I've been struggling with this one all day on a very small dataset. I was starting to doubt my GIS carreer prospects!
0 Kudos
BryanFerri1
New Contributor

In case anyone out there is banging their head against the wall about this...

  - I spent an hour+ looking over these threads trying to resolve a related issue - I tried to dissolve a layer with tonnns of "slivers" resulting from a union. Result was an "empty output". I tried "repair geometry", it succeeded per results window, so I tried again, same result = "empty output". I noticed the repair tool still showed many fixed features if I ran it again. I then noticed it was only fixing some of my features (was a big file - 60K polygons). I ran it several more times until there were no more to repair, tried dissolve again, and it worked. Oy! Hope this helps.

DruSexton1
New Contributor II

This worked for me in Pro, and I only needed run the process 1 time, it seemed to resolve numerous errors. I also ran this on a Parcel layer with just under 60k parcels. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos