Python Errors in IDLE when processing metadata

06-15-2014 01:01 PM
IvanBrown
New Contributor III
Scripting ImportMetadata_conversion in Python worked for me with ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  Now ImportMetadata_conversion won't run in script;  I am now on ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2.  I get "ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid."

Although problems with scripting metadata processes might not be very significant in some organizations, my organization provides a GIS data clearinghouse.  Metadata processing is a significant part of our work.

I was disappointed because the ImportMetadata_conversion Help document in ArcGIS for Desktop did not indicate that the tool won't work in an external script.  I wrote a script that uses ImportMetadata_conversion, and then discovered that ImportMetadata_conversion won't run in the script.
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Scripting ImportMetadata_conversion in Python worked for me with ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  Now ImportMetadata_conversion won't run in script;  I am now on ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2.  I get "ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid."

These tools are not supported currently in 64 bit arcpy. This is one of the limitations of 64 bit geoprocessing.

If you launch 32-bit Python and import arcpy, these metadata tools will work fine.
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos