Pseudo HeatMap from a Fishnet grid and points layer.

03-05-2013 11:19 AM
zeddockmiller
New Contributor
I am fairly new to ArcGIS.

I wanted to build a heatmap to show higher density of structures, (buildings, shown as points,) in areas.
I tried to do the several different ways listed in many videos and how-tos, but failed for many reasons. (often where I didn't have the license to perform something.)  Also, tried the route of Incremental Spatial Autocorrelation. That was interesting, but I must have messed up too many things and the hotspot didn't look right anyway.

I turned my attention to the idea of creating a grid and coloring the grid polygons in a color ramp based on how many points were intersecting that grid.

I have tried this so many different ways and so many times, I think I am getting overloaded.  Can someone point me through a simple process to do this? Please?

Here is what I have now:
I have a fishnet of poloygons 50x50 meters.
I have a layer of points and can visually see some "cells" of the grid do not have ANY points within them, but sometimes there are as many as 10.
I have tried the Tabulate Intersection, but it fails without much explanation ERROR 999999.  I suspect it has to do with my configuration of the tool/

Terrible!
I can see what I want to do, but I just don't know how to get there from here.... It is even more frustrating knowing that many of you know how to do this in several different ways, in your sleep!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanx!

Zeddock
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
You can do a spatial join and sum the points that fall inside the polygons.  The sum field will be added automatically.  You could also convert points to raster (where output raster is same resolution of your fishnet) and use the Count option.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
zeddockmiller
New Contributor
You can do a spatial join and sum the points that fall inside the polygons.  The sum field will be added automatically.  You could also convert points to raster (where output raster is same resolution of your fishnet) and use the Count option.

Best,
Eric

Yes!

This worked. Thank you!

I was able to use this and then set up counts for differing colors for the fishnet-grid polygons.

It took some playing to get a good look, but this is as close to my vision as I have gotten.

Thanx again!

zeddock
0 Kudos