Proximity Search for point feature

09-08-2011 01:50 AM
RegunathanUmapathy
New Contributor III
I have a shape files with 6000+ points. I am looking for a proximity search to find the points which are close to another point with a distance between 15m to 1000m. I mean I want to avoid if the points are between 15m closeby and I also don't need if they are separate by more than 1000m. Unfortunately when I use the proximity search tool I do a search with a distance of 1000m or so but I can avoid points which are close to 15m (just to avoid duplication because of GPS errors due poor reception). Is there a way to achieve my this objective?. If proximity search is not the correct tool what is the correct tool do I need to use? I shall be thankful if someone can help me on this thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
What "proximity search" tool are you using?

If you have an ArcInfo license, I would try using the Generate Near Table tool.  This will output a table of all features w/in 1000m (you specify 1000m as the search radius).  You can then select all records that have a NEAR_DIST of 15m or less and delete them, leaving you with features between 15m and 1000m.  You can then use the Summary Statistics tool to find the closest feature to each point by finding the MIN of NEAR_DIST.  Use IN_FID as the case field.
0 Kudos