Processing Power

Jump to solution
11-18-2020 03:24 AM
FritzMichaelGschwantner
New Contributor

Dear Map Community,

I have been having issues with the processing time when I run geoprocessing tools (some took 5 hours). I also have slow downs when I work on my layouts, many times when I add small texts (What should take me 5 minutes, takes me 20 minutes).

What laptop/pc must I get? I understand the minimum requirements, which I already meet, however, it definitely shows that they are not enough. I would appreciate details on CPU, RAM, GPU

Thanks in advance 🙂

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Setting a goal of meeting "minimum requirements" is a mistake.  Minimum requirements yield minimal  performance (which is what you are seeing).

The answer to this question is a moving target (and has been asked and answered scores of times before). Currently, I wouldn't consider new hardware for GIS without at least quad 3+Ghz cores, 16GB of RAM, and 250+GB of fast SSD (or M.2) disk (with HDD backup).  Basically, a hot game machine, though without the top-of-the-line graphics card (unless you're doing 3D GIS, in which case you need that, too).  If I had the budget, I'd bump up the RAM to 24-32GB and the SSD disk to RAID-1 (mirrored) disk.  Don't neglect your Internet access speed in the budget calculations, either.

Note that asking multiple questions in a single post isn't likely to get all your questions answered. You really ought to research and ask a specific question about your layout issue.

- V

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check this page

arcgis-pro-system-requirements 

and click on the link ( Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.6 .) 

on this page to get the specs for your machine. 

Then look at Recommended... consider that the new minimum.  Use that as a guideline to assess new machines.

surface_book3.png

Also go and clear your caches if you are using Pro.

Clean out your projects and remove stuff you don't need.  A bloated project is going to slow everything down.

... sort of retired...
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Setting a goal of meeting "minimum requirements" is a mistake.  Minimum requirements yield minimal  performance (which is what you are seeing).

The answer to this question is a moving target (and has been asked and answered scores of times before). Currently, I wouldn't consider new hardware for GIS without at least quad 3+Ghz cores, 16GB of RAM, and 250+GB of fast SSD (or M.2) disk (with HDD backup).  Basically, a hot game machine, though without the top-of-the-line graphics card (unless you're doing 3D GIS, in which case you need that, too).  If I had the budget, I'd bump up the RAM to 24-32GB and the SSD disk to RAID-1 (mirrored) disk.  Don't neglect your Internet access speed in the budget calculations, either.

Note that asking multiple questions in a single post isn't likely to get all your questions answered. You really ought to research and ask a specific question about your layout issue.

- V

FritzMichaelGschwantner
New Contributor

Thank you so very much VinceAngelo! This was incredibly helpful.

Sorry for the late reply. And also apologies for having put in two questions. You are absolutely right! I will be more succinct in the future with my questions and will keep it at one per thread.

0 Kudos