Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem with "summarize within" tool

07-28-2024 03:07 PM
NinaBB
by
Emerging Contributor

So I have a layer that was initially created using the "extract by mask tool" on a climate resilience raster of the US over recreation area polygons, which was then turned into a polygon layer. This layer is made up of these little polygon blobs, which contain multiple different climate resiliency polygon values within them. So, one blob may only contain one polygon of one climate resiliency category, or it could contain many. My goal was to summarize/average those blobs so each one only has one dominant climate resiliency type within it. The problem is, I couldn't use any tools on it because the blobs are not recognized as individual entities, rather they're made up of a bunch of small polygons. 

I decided to use the aggregate polygons tool, which made the blobs into their own entities. However, now I've tried to use the summarize within tool, and it says that the field I want to use, gridcode (the climate resiliency type) isn't valid for the tool, and I'm not sure what that means. 

I'd really appreciate any help and I know there are many different ways to go about this that I haven't thought of yet!

NinaBB_0-1722204361171.png

NinaBB_1-1722204403639.pngNinaBB_2-1722204418417.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You haven't chosen a statistic. Next to gridcode under Summary Fields within the tool, pick sum or mean.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/summarize-within.htm#GUID-D87042A5-...

A list of attribute field names from the input summary features, as well as statistical summary types that will be calculated for those attribute fields for all points in each polygon.

0 Kudos
NinaBB
by
Emerging Contributor

Haha, you're right! Do you have an idea of a different tool I could use, that summarizes the categories based on their area size? Summarize within doesn't make sense for my data since it's categorical...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

your data are categorical, so have a look at

Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You might want to convert any multipart shapes to singlepart using

Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

is you want areal differentiation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NinaBB
by
Emerging Contributor

Thank you! I'm not sure if either of those tools are quite what I want... I want to average the different polygons in each group, so that each only has one dominant category. So basically average them based on their area? Summarize within didn't work because "mean" means nothing in this context.

0 Kudos
NinaBB
by
Emerging Contributor

So I have a layer that was initially created using the "extract by mask tool" on a climate resilience raster of the US over recreation area polygons, which was then turned into a polygon layer. This layer is made up of these little polygon blobs, which contain multiple different climate resiliency polygon values within them. So, one blob may only contain one polygon of one climate resiliency category, or it could contain many. My goal was to summarize/average those blobs so each one only has one dominant climate resiliency type within it. The problem is, I couldn't use any tools on it because the blobs are not recognized as individual entities, rather they're made up of a bunch of small polygons. 

I decided to use the aggregate polygons tool, which made the blobs into their own entities. However, now I've tried to use the summarize within tool, and it says that the field I want to use, gridcode (the climate resiliency type) isn't valid for the tool, and I'm not sure what that means. 

I'd really appreciate any help and I know there are many different ways to go about this that I haven't thought of yet!

NinaBB_0-1722204361171.png

NinaBB_1-1722204403639.pngNinaBB_2-1722204418417.png

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You haven't chosen a statistic. Next to gridcode under Summary Fields within the tool, pick sum or mean.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/summarize-within.htm#GUID-D87042A5-...

A list of attribute field names from the input summary features, as well as statistical summary types that will be calculated for those attribute fields for all points in each polygon.

0 Kudos