I am having some issues with linear referencing. When I display the route events from my dbf table, the geometry seems to be missing as the points do not show up in ArcMap, but when I open the attribute table, all the data is there. Same thing when I export it to a permanent shapefile. What's even more strange is that when I select one of the points or a group of points in the attribute table, the selection is visible in ArcMap and they appear to be where they are supposed to be, but again, when I export to a permanent shapefile, the points disappear.
Is there a bug or glitch known for linear referencing, or am I doing something wrong? I've used this procedure with similar data before without any issues, so maybe I missed something. I'm using ArcGIS 10.0.
I'm also trying to script the whole procedure in Python since I will be doing this numerous times in the future, and if I script it, I'm having the same problem.
Perhaps a faulty route featureclass. Try adding hatching to be sure that you have the correct units. Are you mixing projections? The records will appear in the event table even if they are not mapping correctly, so that is not the issue. Maybe the route system line is doubled up or has some obscure editing fault, a gap in the route, or an inconsistent range. There are display options in properties to highlight some of these faults. Try creating a new route system with the expected range of values from your dbf file. There is a tool that you can add to a toolbar to query route systems in Customise mode that is useful.
I find Linear Referencing very difficult to use, impossible to edit and have to create a copy each time I make an edit of the source. It was promised to be upgraded in 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0, 10.1 and still no changes to even get it back to Workstation functionality.