Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem while Geoprocessing (Intersecting) large amount on data in Arcpro and Arcmap.

Jump to solution
01-26-2018 06:34 AM
chiranjeevijanjanam
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am doing my Master thesis with GIS Data where I have to churn a large amount of data, I have more than 2 million rows, which I must intersect with another map to get the common attribute table which I use in other software to get the required results, but processing itself is taking hours, yesterday I started it on ArcMap and it ran for 18 hours but just said "drawing features 36,000" at which point I thought it would take months to complete the operation and installed pro as i saw this thread.Dissolving Large Data 

But still the problem is persisting and I ran into a problem again, I waited for 3 hours at which point Pro returned an error and started processing again, can you guys say how to go through this large data intersect.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

We pass 150m points through the 3m polygon-polygon intersection result (takes an hour or so in PostgreSQL, but only because we have to match to features nearby if not exactly within one).  I use straight SQL; none of that GUI stuff for me.  But first I defragment both tables spatially, and my polygons are regularly partitioned to max 25 sq km, so the identity operation flies.

- V

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Also from the PRO docs

(Tiled) Processing of Large Datasets

Summary of recommendations, from there and others from above... not all needed, but here they are

• Use a beefy machine machine.
  • Read the docs in the link to see which tools exploit adaptive subdivision (like quadtrees for vectors).  If your process doesn't, then you may have to slice and dice into smaller parcels yourself
  • Don't run other applications while running large dataset processes (ie. skip email and Netflix)
  • Use Dice (even if subdivision will be going on)
  • Use Enterprise and file geodatabases