Polyline and Polygon Intersect

06-06-2014 03:22 PM
JoelTeo
New Contributor
Dear ArcGIS Geoprocessing community,

I would like to ask if a polyline lies on the boundary of 2 polygons, how will the intersect tool handle the output result? Will the polyline intersect both polygons or either one?

One example is a road link with residential landuse on its left and industrial landuse on its right. Will the road link intersect with the residential or the industrial polygon? Any reference link is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Joel
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Dear ArcGIS Geoprocessing community,

I would like to ask if a polyline lies on the boundary of 2 polygons, how will the intersect tool handle the output result? Will the polyline intersect both polygons or either one?

One example is a road link with residential landuse on its left and industrial landuse on its right. Will the road link intersect with the residential or the industrial polygon? Any reference link is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Joel

Other than doing it, here is the only help I know of that explains the Intersect behavior between lines and polygons.  It intersects with both polygon features according to the description, but it won't tell you if one is left and the other is right.  The Identity tool tells you which is the right or left poly.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Other than doing it, here is the only help I know of that explains the Intersect behavior between lines and polygons.  It intersects with both polygon features according to the description, but it won't tell you if one is left and the other is right.  The Identity tool tells you which is the right or left poly.
  Identity requires an Advanced license.
0 Kudos