Points to Polygons, using attributes columns to define polygon width & length

02-02-2011 07:22 PM
CurtAhlberg
New Contributor
Hi Everybody,
I have thousands of points, which have have attribute columns for width & length. I have searched for a script that can convert the points to polygons with the dimensions of that in the attribute columns.
Is there a tool or script floating about for this?
Orientation and exact placement of polygon is not important for this task, as I still have to individually check, rotate & move the polygons but if they are allready created then atleast I save time in not having to do that individually 🙂

Many Thanks
Curt
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelStead
Occasional Contributor III
Couple of possibilities offhand:

If your license allows square ends on buffers you could just convert to a line using the length and then buffer by the width. I am pretty sure you could do the points to line using the length field using ET Geowizards if ArcMap wants two points as a minimum. As a last resort, I am positive there are scripts for point to line with angle and length fields(http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=16055). If your licensing level can't create square end buffers in Arc, you could see if gvSig, Quantum, SAGA, MapWindow, or some other free product will do this for you. Or you could try a copy parallel from your original line to half your width on either side and then use feature envelopes (minimum bounding) to convert these groups to polygons.

Alternatively, you could do add a new x,y field and a unique group field and loop through adding/subtacting half of your width and height measures to your existing coordinates. With 4 loops you should be able to create a table with 4 points surrounding your starting point. Give each cycle of 4 records a unique id and then use feature envelopes (minimum bounding) to convert these groups to polygons.
0 Kudos
CurtAhlberg
New Contributor
Hi Michael,
Thanks your advice worked a treat!
I used "Bearing Distance To Line (Data Management)" tool to generate lines from the points using the Length attribute that I had and then a dummy attribute column for Bearing as i don't have this, all were generated at 45 degrees.

Then I used the "Buffer" tool where I used the Width attrbute for Buffer width, selected Flat End type, and for Side type I selected Left. Either Left or Right would have been good for my purpose.

This created a buffer with the exact dimensions that I had in the Attrubute columns, now its just a matter of getting their exact placement correct on the Ortho Aerial.

This has saved a heap of time thanks Michael!

Cheers
Curt
0 Kudos