Point Layer to KML - Google Placemarks Blank

03-14-2012 07:04 AM
NatashaJurko
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with converting a point shapefile into a KML layer.  Once converted and uploaded to Google Maps/Earth the placemarks are missing.  Only the shadows of the placemarks are displayed, and I have to select the point on the side legend/menu to see the pop-up table.  All the attribute table information is there, and the labeling is converted correctly, it is just the physical point iteself which is missing.  Looking through the ArcGIS 10 Desktop Help I followed the examples of converting points to no avail.  I have tried other shapefiles and feature classes and they all have the same result.

I have tried:
- using different symbols
- changing layer projections
- trying it as a shapefile and feature class
- uploadeing from different computers
- using different browsers to display google maps

I am working with ArcGIS 10, Editor licence (also have spatial analyst enabled).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank-you

Natasha
0 Kudos
15 Replies
KevinMyles
New Contributor
You can import your KMZ into Google Maps, symbolize them all individually, save them and export as KML to you desktop. Then you can re-import them into a new Google Map as KML. Can be a painfull process with a lot of points but it's one way to work around this issue.
0 Kudos
EricMcPhee
New Contributor III
Here is my clunky work around.
1. Create KMZ using "Layer to KML" tool
2. In windows explorer, go to the directory you output the KMZ
3. rename the file extension to .zip (ie MyTest.kmz -> MyTest.zip)
4. Extract the zip file
5. open the extracted folder and open the doc.kml file
6. use a 'find and replace' on the 'styleurl' tag

In my kml's there is always this tag "<styleUrl>#IconStyle01</styleUrl>". I replace it with nothing (no text) using find and replace tool in a text editor.

7. save the kml
8. In your Google maps, import the kml file that you modified. This should result in the default blue pushpin as the placemark.

Not very elegant or cool, but seems to get the job done.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Hmmm... thinking out loud based on the last couple forum posts....

Would having an option on the tool, something like "override symbology / default symbology" (which would do something that Erin explained) be beneficial to many people? It seems the only time you would NOT want the icon embedded into the KMZ would be when you're creating KML specifically for google maps.
I can't promise this change, but if theres enough interest its something we could consider for a future release.
0 Kudos
StephJohnson
New Contributor
Hmmm... thinking out loud based on the last couple forum posts....

Would having an option on the tool, something like "override symbology / default symbology" (which would do something that Erin explained) be beneficial to many people? It seems the only time you would NOT want the icon embedded into the KMZ would be when you're creating KML specifically for google maps.
I can't promise this change, but if theres enough interest its something we could consider for a future release.

I am having the same problem with all of my kmz files created with arcmap 10.  Only the shadows show up.  I have hundreds of points and would hate to have to redo them all one at a time.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
LarryZietsman
New Contributor
Here is my clunky work around.
1. Create KMZ using "Layer to KML" tool
2. In windows explorer, go to the directory you output the KMZ
3. rename the file extension to .zip (ie MyTest.kmz -> MyTest.zip)
4. Extract the zip file
5. open the extracted folder and open the doc.kml file
6. use a 'find and replace' on the 'styleurl' tag

In my kml's there is always this tag "<styleUrl>#IconStyle01</styleUrl>". I replace it with nothing (no text) using find and replace tool in a text editor.

7. save the kml
8. In your Google maps, import the kml file that you modified. This should result in the default blue pushpin as the placemark.

Not very elegant or cool, but seems to get the job done.

Thanks for the work around...the problem has cost me days of trying!
Larry
0 Kudos
JoelGuerra
New Contributor
I am having a version of the same problem. I am trying to display points as pie chart symbology. I am trying to view the pie charts in Google Earth and I am converting in Arcmap to kml. I have the pie chart in 2 colors yet once I convert the file to kml and bring them into Google Earth, all I see are grey circles without the original colors I'd done in Arcmap. Maybe I'll try to edit the kml script as was suggested earlier in this thread.
0 Kudos