Placing Symbols on Top of Labels

Jump to solution
09-27-2021 07:02 PM
MShairah
New Contributor III

Hello!

Just wanted to know if there's a way to place the symbols of one layer on top of the labels of another layer without having to convert them to annotations? (see pics)

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

P.S. - I'm not sure if this is related to geoprocessing lol but asking here anyway because I couldn't scour anything from the other corners of the internet

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@MShairah ,

I don't think there is any option for overlaying the labels by symbols in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. However you can manage your labeling by In Beyond and Out Beyond scale levels at what scale to show or hide and also toggling the Pause on and off on the Labeling ribbon. (see screenshots below).

MehdiPira1_0-1632795664813.png

MehdiPira1_1-1632795734672.png

More information in the link below:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/text/labeling-basics.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@MShairah ,

I don't think there is any option for overlaying the labels by symbols in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. However you can manage your labeling by In Beyond and Out Beyond scale levels at what scale to show or hide and also toggling the Pause on and off on the Labeling ribbon. (see screenshots below).

MehdiPira1_0-1632795664813.png

MehdiPira1_1-1632795734672.png

More information in the link below:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/text/labeling-basics.htm

0 Kudos
MShairah
New Contributor III

Hello Mehdi!

Seems as if this feature is only available in ArcGISPro? I can only use ArcGIS as of now but thanks 👍

0 Kudos
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@MShairah 

They are also available in ArcMap. To access the In beyond and Out beyond:

Go to the properties of the feature class > Labels tab > Scale Range > click Don't show labels when zoomed. The label Pause is also available in the Labeling toolbar: Right click on the toolbar at the top > Select Labeling > Pause and Lock options 

MehdiPira1_3-1632798072441.png

MehdiPira1_0-1632797917083.png      

MehdiPira1_4-1632798601660.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give a like if you find it helpful. If it answered your question please accept as solution.

MShairah
New Contributor III

Hello Mehdi!

Ohh alright, I'll try and work it out. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LeahCharash
New Contributor II

@MShairah , this isn't exactly placing the symbol on top of the labels of another layer, but you can stop the labels from overlapping with other map features by adjusting the "feature weight"

LeahCharash_0-1712263322574.png

If you set the feature weight of your point layer to a higher value than the feature class with the labels, it will avoid placing the labels atop the features with a higher weight.

0 Kudos