Select to view content in your preferred language

Pivot Tables and 000210 error

05-18-2010 02:37 PM
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III
I tried using the Pivot table tool and it keeps returning a 000210 error.
I searched for what that meant and it implies a schema lock or conflicting use, or no permissions.

I shut down all ArcMap sessions, I tried rebooting, the folders in question were all created by me. So I don't know why I'd be getting that error.

Anyone else come across this and successfully figured out how to get around that?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanaNolan
Regular Contributor
Using 9.3.1 and a 9900 record input, I have tried:
input from SDE
Input from Personal GDB
input from dbf table

Output to table (dbf)
Output to Personal GDB table
Output to SDE table

Also, I have tried using different input and pivot fields, though of course, this is rather pointless as I need to use certain ones. I always got the 210 error, except once (I believe one PGDB to PGDB try) when I got no error but no file.:p
However, I also recently discovered that my license was set to ArcView rather than ArcInfo by mistake. With ArcInfo, or maybe just because it's Thursday, it worked today on my second try...just as I was about to agree with you that it never ever works. I still don't believe this should be this difficult. I wanted to avoid using Excel to do this.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Pivot Tables requires an ArcInfo license to run.  ArcView won't cut it.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Regular Contributor
A shot in the dark here -- do your input field values have <Null> values, empty text strings, or text strings with illegal characters?  It could be Pivot Table is trying to create a field name on the output table using these nonsensical values.  Typically, this case yields another error (99999 I think), but it might also yield 210.  This is something we've fixed in 10.0 Service Pack 1 (made it more informative anyway), due out any day.
0 Kudos
DanielSheehan
New Contributor II
Every so often I forget that you can't create field names that are numeric.

I do have an Esri question though, does <Null> values go to 0 in a Pivot for GDB?
0 Kudos
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor
Problem:  I also received the 000210 error when using a shapefile and trying to write the pivot table to a folder location.

Fix:  By performing all the steps in a file geodatabase, the error went away.  I used a feature class as the "Input Table" and wrote the "Output Table" to the geodatabase.  And, even though one of my Pivot Field values had spaces in it, the new attribute name in my pivot table was created successfully.

Note:  When using the shapefile and folder method, I removed the spaces in the Pivot Field value and shortened the value to ten characters.
0 Kudos