Path Length Limitation Problem

07-07-2011 06:15 PM
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
Every time I try to assign a projection to an image or reproject an image I get an error and the function fails.  If I copy the files to a location with a short path name then the tools will work.

As an alternative we often go back to ARCGIS 9.2 for all of our georeferencing work because it can handel long path names that ARCGIS 10 can't.

Is there a way that I can make ARCGIS 10 access files with the same pathname length as ARCGIS 9, of do we just have to wait for ESRI to fix the problem.  Copying the files back and forth from a dummy directory off the root is a real pain in the butt.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBonar
New Contributor
Every time I try to assign a projection to an image or reproject an image I get an error and the function fails.  If I copy the files to a location with a short path name then the tools will work.

As an alternative we often go back to ARCGIS 9.2 for all of our georeferencing work because it can handel long path names that ARCGIS 10 can't.

Is there a way that I can make ARCGIS 10 access files with the same pathname length as ARCGIS 9, of do we just have to wait for ESRI to fix the problem.  Copying the files back and forth from a dummy directory off the root is a real pain in the butt.

This is still a problem, with geoprocessing not able to handle long path names. Why can't this be fixed?
0 Kudos