Patch analyst

01-20-2015 01:47 PM
JoeFolta
New Contributor

I'm trying to determine the percent of each habitat type (raster) within various polygon layers starting with all counties within a state.  I'm trying to use patch analyst.  I've clipped the raster to the state outline and converted the raster to a polygon layer.  Now I'm trying to intersect the habitat layer and the county layer.  It doesn't look like ArcGIS is doing anything unless I try to exit out of the program.  Then it tells me that I have geoprocessing applications pending or in progress.  Last night I did have it tell me that it was intersecting.  But when it was completed (sometime overnight), the intersection layer was not created.  Anyone know what's going on with this program or is another way I can get at the data that I need?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what the Patch Analyst is, but you could indeed convert the raster to polygons and use a union to create a featureclass with all the combinations (habitats vs counties). Then you can join the areas of the original counties to the result and determine the percentage for each habitat x county combination.

If you have access to Spatial Analyst you could also do this in raster format. The tool that you would need is the Combine tool. The resulting raster has an attribute table with the combinations (a unique value will be created for each unique combination of habitat and county).

JoeFolta
New Contributor

Thanks.  I'll look into it.  It's getting frustrating every time I get the intersection to progress to the end, the intersection shapefile disappears.  It can be seen in the file explorer while the program is running, but once it is completed the shapefile is nowhere to be found.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Try to move away from shapefiles.

Why not migrate your data to geodatabases instead.

Are you sure that the file permissions are read/write where you are storing the shp?

JoeFolta
New Contributor

The file permissions are read/write where I'm trying to store the shp. As for migrating to geodatabases, the output from the intersection is "feature class" and the default is creating a shapefile.  I don't see where that option can be changed.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

All output feature class dialogs in the tools allow you to navigate to a geoDB (file, personal or enterprise) and assign a name to your output data. Create a file goeDB or a personal one (access mdb) using ArcCatalog first.

Filenames inside a geoDB cannot begin with a number.

0 Kudos