Overlapping Point Features

01-20-2011 11:54 AM
TonyLantry
New Contributor
I have a point feature class that participates in a network dataset.  My problem is there are several overlapping point features and in these cases, network dataset only puts one in the network as a junction.
The points represent different features, so I cannot just eliminate them.  Is there a geoprocessing tool that detects point features in same location and then moves one or more features a very short distance so there is no overlap.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If this is for display on a map, the Disperse Markers tool might be what you need.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
KarelHostomsky
New Contributor
Dan,
yes, you are true, the Disperse Markers tool is a great tool for this, BUT you need to convert Symbology to Representation, and meanwhile the Character Marker Symbols will become rasterized and therefore unusable for a good quality map.

Do you know any idea how to solve this problem? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, best regards!
Charles
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
Move all the spare points to a new featureclass. It doesn't sound like a clean dataset to be building nodes from a cluster of points.

You could use Spatial Statistics>Utilities>Collect Events tool to remove the duplicates and just keep one for the network.
Maybe have a relate to a table so that you can have multiple attributes for the other points? Why do you need all the points in the same featureclass?

Selecting one of many points to keep is a tricky problem not available in the standard tools, but you can make a tool to create a unique ID for a location using a Geohash. Or use ET Tools, a great set that fills in all sorts of little gaps in the Esri toolset. Once you have a unique location ID you can number the points within the group and offset them a little. Needs a bit of Python programming to extend the toolset for adventurous analysts like yourself.
0 Kudos
KarelHostomsky
New Contributor
Thank you for your response, but there is a small misunderstanding I suppose. There is not a 100 % overlapping (or even a few), but the symbols are disturbing each other, in case they are too near to each other. The important thing is, that I need all of the points (because each point represents a firm) and I can make the symbology, that is not the problem.

For the overlapping problem the disperse markers is a perfect tool, but because it needs "converting to representation", most of the offered symbols become rasterized. At least the character marker symbols (which are made of fonts).

So I need to know if it is possible to obtain some vector based symbols, which are resistant to the effect of converting to representations.

Thanks!
k.
0 Kudos