Near tools returns null

07-02-2019 09:37 AM
SammiFan
New Contributor

Hello. I used Near tool in ArcMap 10.3 to calculate the nearest distance between the county center and US time zone boundaries. But I got all the fields with a null value. The county center is calculated by following the instruction here: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000009381. And I also add a time zone layer by searching online. However, when I use the Near tool to calculate the nearest distance from each county center to time zone boundaries, each field returns null.

I couldn't figure out a way to fix that. Any hints are appreciated. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Near—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

NEAR_FC

The catalog path to the feature class that contains the near feature. This field is only added to the output table if multiple Near Features are specified. If no near feature is found, the value will be empty string or null.

Are all the layers in the same coordinate system?

And it appears you specified multiple Near Features?

An online layer is probably not in the same coordinate system as your data are.

0 Kudos
SammiFan
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply! 

I am not sure about the system. But if I download the time zone layer to my computer and use this downloaded one, will they in the same coordinate system?

And I only want the distance from the county center to the nearest time zone boundary. Is that a problem?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sammi, nothing automatically gets put into the same coordinate system.  Find out what the coordinate systems are, and if needed use the Project Tool (in Data management, projections and transformations toolset) to project the downloaded one into the coordinate system of your main data

0 Kudos
SammiFan
New Contributor

Got you! I will do some research about the coordinate system and then redo the process. Will keep you posted. Thank you so much!  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good luck Sammi and welcome to GeoNet

0 Kudos
SammiFan
New Contributor

Hi Dan, I find out that their coordinate systems are: 

GCS_WGS_1984

GCS_WGS_1984

It seems like they are in the same coordinate system. Still not sure what the problem is....

0 Kudos
SammiFan
New Contributor

And now when I try to generate near the table, just several has numbers, and all others are 0.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

0 is the distance... the closest is inside

0 Kudos
SammiFan
New Contributor

That's possible. Then I guess I would like to ask is it possible to calculate the shortest distance between the point and the nearest time zone and the point is not located in the time zone?

Thank you!

0 Kudos