Near Tool

Jump to solution
01-10-2012 10:37 AM
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Hello. I used Near tool in ArcMap 10 to calculate the near distnace and I got some fields with zeros value. Then I used the same layer in ArcMap 9.3, and I got near distance field without zeros values. I couldn't figure out the reason for that.Any hint.Appreciate. Thanks1
0 Kudos
23 Replies
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Did you recive any of my email???????
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Just an update for those who read this thread:

The sample data eventually came through ... my test of the following all worked and Abdalla verified:
For the Buffer approach:
1. Run Buffer tool with -0.2 meter buffer_distance. If you look the touching area, you should see the polygons are separated.
2. Run Near tool using the buffer output as both Input Features and Near Features. You should get the NEAR_DIST with no zeros in the buffer table.
If you use a positive buffer distance, 0.2 meters, you should get 5 polygons, each connects two touching ones.

For the Aggregate Polygons approach:
1. Run the Densify tool (Editing toolbox) to densify the polygons by 0.5 meter distance. This inserts many vertices.
2. Run the Aggregate Polygons tool (Cartography �?? Generalization) with a 1 meter or larger distance. I get 5 new polygons, each came from two touching ones, similar to what you would get using a 0.2 meter buffer.

Abdalla will try the approaches on the original data. Hope he will succeed.
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Dan.. All the three approaches have worked successfully and I got exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciated.
ABDALLA
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
I am glad to hear that. You are very welcome!  🙂
0 Kudos