Near Tool

Jump to solution
01-10-2012 10:37 AM
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Hello. I used Near tool in ArcMap 10 to calculate the near distnace and I got some fields with zeros value. Then I used the same layer in ArcMap 9.3, and I got near distance field without zeros values. I couldn't figure out the reason for that.Any hint.Appreciate. Thanks1
0 Kudos
23 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
I still don't see it. You can try to email it to me:  dlee@esri.com

Thansk.
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
I just sent it to you email..
Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks and I received the jpg image.

These touching cases are very much of the effect of raster/grid to vector/polygon conversion. You may consider the following options:

1. There is an Aggregate Polygons tool (Cartography - Generalization in ArcGIS 10; previously in Data Management - Generalization). You can try a small distance and see if the touching polygons become connected.

2. Or, if you want each group of touching polygons to merge into a new polygon, you can use the Buffer tool with a VERY small buffer distance (0.2 meters?). The resulting shape will be slightly enlarged and the corners become round, but the touching polygons will be connected with a small "width".

3. If you want the touching polygons to become disconnected, you can use the Buffer tool with a VERY small negative buffer distance (-0.2 meters?). Each resulting shape will be slightly smaller.

You can actually use the zero near_dist to select the touching polygons and apply one of the above ways to them only. Hope the slight gain or loss in shape_area is acceptable.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Let me try them and let you know.
Thanks a lot..
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Dan..None of the above gave me the required result..I couldn't get the touching polygon to disconnect or aggregated in one polygon..Any hint? appreciated.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
The buffer approach should work. Did you zoom in to a touching spot to see?

Otherwise, can you share a small sample data, as shown in the image you sent me? You are using ArcGIS 10 with an ArcInfo license, correct?
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
The buffer didn't work, because when I run the Near tool still getting zeros distance. Yes I'm using ArcMap 10.. I selected near distance with zero values and i will try to send you the layer in your email..
Thanks!
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
I just sent you sample data in your email..Let me know if you receive it..
Thanks..
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
No, I have not received your data. Did you send it to dlee@esri.com? Did you get a return error? Try to send me an email without data first.
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
I just sent you the whole shapefile in three different emails.. Because of my limit, I couldn't it in one email..I hope you have recieved it..please let me know..
Thanks!
0 Kudos