Mysterious File Lock stopping Iteration in Model Builder

04-10-2011 10:45 AM
ChristopherBlinn
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to iterate through a shapefile, by making a selection of features, copying the features (to create a separate file), convert to raster, identify the null values, use raster calculator to change the values around in the raster and store it in an output folder. 

The iteration starts to run, gets through about 20 of 400+ iterations and then ends, with an error stating one of my rasters that needs to be overwritten is locked.  No other applications are opened on my computer, no additional windows are opened in arcmap, so I am lost.  Plus, if the file is locked, how did the first 20 or so iterations run just fine?  Every time I try to run it again, the error occurs at a different iteration count, so it is not the same selection causing the error.

Hope I explained the issue appropriately and someone can help.  Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherBlinn
New Contributor
I just ran the model again and it did 100 successful iterations...

So confusing where this lock is, I literally run the model and leave the computer alone.

I get error 601, it cannot delete a raster (that is has successfully overwritten 100 times before..) due to "May be locked by another application."

No other applications are opened.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Arndt
Esri Contributor
Just an Idea to identify the Problem:

You can try to split your model in smaller parts and run them alone. For example just to the "copy features" part. And if it works you use the data of the first step for the next one in a new model.

Once, it helps me in a similar situation.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn
New Contributor
Nomeus,

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely remember to do that, and I am sure it will reduce the number of curse words and headaches I get when working with my extensive model creations, haha!

Thanks again!

Chris
0 Kudos
EunSuLee
New Contributor
I have similar problem. It worked well last year with ArcGIS10.0 for 300 fields for iteration, but the locking scheme stop my process after a half of the all fileds in ArcGis10.1. How can i unlock it during iterations?

thanks,

eunsu
0 Kudos