Multiple selection with a limit

10-09-2021 11:03 AM
WalterWilliams
New Contributor II

Good day folks. 

I have a polygon shapefile with some data on closest ED to individual schools. I also know the population served by each school but I want to select the closest EDs with the total population amounting to the school capacity. 

Any help on this would be appreciated 

cheers, 

Walter 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is best to either define acronyms or avoid them, "ED" can mean a whole lot of different things to people from different fields or backgrounds.

Sample or example data is always good, screenshots can be useful too.

What have you tried already? 

0 Kudos
WalterWilliams
New Contributor II
EDs are enumeration districts. I can do this manually by sorting on the distance field and manually select the EDs that add up to the school capacity. I was wondering since I have all the data in a single table if a query could be used to select the closest EDs to each school until the school capacity is met.
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's an ED?  The first few results of a google search probably aren't what you mean.

Are we talking about some kind of expanding radius of selection, selecting ED's A, B, C.. in order of proximity until the school capacity reaches the sum of the ED values?

If that's the case, I think it would be quite difficult, as the initial school chosen, and the subsequent ones etc. will affect which EDs are subsequently selected for other schools (unless you can have an ED assigned to another school or more?). 

0 Kudos
WalterWilliams
New Contributor II
All the EDs are associated with a school already using the closest facility tool. I will post a screenshot asap, but your last recommendation is what I'd like to do. Select from the ED associated with a school the closest ones that would add up to the school's capacity.
0 Kudos