Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple Ring Buffer Input Error in Model Builder 10

05-03-2011 01:28 PM
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
After 90 minutes of cursing and swearing I've discovered that if the input features to the multiple ring buffer does not exist then the Multiple Ring Buffer will not run in AG10.

I've attached a screen-shot. On the lower model branch I ran the Project(2) process and then I validated the entire model. Note the Multiple Ring Buffer goes white on the upper branch.

If you run these models from the 'Edit' mode then the model runs. If you run from the toolbox (open) then the following error is returned:

updateParameters Execution Error: Runtime error <type 'exceptions.IOError'>: C:\continents_basemap_Project.shp does not exist

I can easily recreate this error as the attached example was a recreation on my own machine after the aforementioned cursing and swearing period on a co-worker???s terminal on much more complex data.

Does anyone have a workaround that does not involve coding in Python? Python is not an option for my end users. Thanks.

-ArcGIS 10 SP2 (worked great in 9.3.1)
-Windows XP Pro SP3
-And yes I RTFM and yes I will make a call to ESRI in the morning
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I'm having a hard time understanding. Are you saying Multiple Ring Buffers will not work if they are taking derived data as input?
0 Kudos
JimW1
by
Yes. If the derived data is not present then the multiple ring buffer will not work if run from a toolbox. If you run the model from the ModelBuilder canvas it will run without error. If the model is run from the toolbox then it will fail looking for an input to the mulitple ring buffer tool/script. The model also fails if you validate the model from the canvas view (see the top branch in the image).

I could get the end users to just run the models in canvas view but that would mean a considerable workflow change and new training - these are not GISers running the models.
0 Kudos
JimW1
by
If anyone else runs into this tt's a known error. Which will be addressed in SP3

NIM066402
0 Kudos