Moran's Correlogram

06-14-2010 07:11 AM
DanieleTorreggiani
New Contributor
Hi, I have read in the archived forums a thread by Paula Moreno and Ana Felipe dated 2006 about Moran's Correlogram.

They discussed about the possibility of computing a Moran's I correlogram, which calls for Moran's values to be calculated for consecutive distance classes. In particular, they were wondering if some script may help to do this computation, since the tools already available on Arcgis 9 did not allow to build such correlogram.

No answer to their post was available in that thread.
Nowadays, in 2010, does ArcGis Geostatistical analyst - or any ArcGis script - allow to calculate the Moran's correlogram? If not, I have read about some stand-alone specific softwares (e.g. GeoDA, CrimeStat, SAM, ...) which seem to allow to calculate Moran's correlogram.

Can you help me?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III
Are you needing to run Moran's I at multiple distances? You could write a python script that would wrap the Moran's I tool in a function with the distance as an input. Then simply call the function over and over feeding it the new distance each time. You wouldnt get a grapical output, though the python tool my export a jpeg or something Ive never used Moran in python, you could write the output to a file or the python interpreter.

I feel like I heard that there will be a multi-distance Moran tool in Arc10 though I may be wrong or it may have been dropped.

This will do a multi Moran and write the output to a file.

oldout=sys.stdout
def MoransMultiI(distance):
    all the Moran's I code
    gp.getmessages()
sys.stdout=open(somefile,'w')
MoransMultiI(10 or whatever)
MoransMultiI(15 or whatever)
sys.stdout=oldout
0 Kudos