Modelbuilder as a tool is not the same as running the same model in modelbuilder?

01-19-2012 01:36 AM
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
Hi

I am having a very frustrating problem where I have created a model which is basically a spatial join with some layer creation. When the model is run inside modelbuilder, the result is as intended. If it is run as a tool (with parameters filled in correctly), the outputs are deleted/not created at all. Is there an intentional difference or is this a known bug? I am running ArcView 10 SP3.

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III
I opened a incident this morning asking this same question.  I'll post the responce once I hear back from support.

Michael Miller
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Is the output variable a model parameter?  It sounds like your model creates a layer.  This output layer has to be a model parameter in order for it to be automatically added to ArcMap display when the model is run as a tool.  See these help topics for more info:
0 Kudos
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply, it was a schoolboy error in not unticking the intermediate data option for some data.

I still have a similar problem which hasn't responded to unticking the intermediate button. I have a large tool which takes the point, line and polygon layer (one of each) in a FGDB, selects features by feature codes (specifically defined in each 'select by attributes' tool) and sends each selection into a defined feature class. (The tool basically takes map data from a survey database and appends them to a base map database).

If I run it inside model builder it works fine on all the feature classes, but running it as a tool causes the lines and points to be processed but not the polygons. If I set the outputs of the polygon branch as a precondition to the rest of the tool, it gets only as far as parsing the input database name and then stops with no error message, the tool thinks it has completed. Is there an intended difference between running models in modelbuilder and as tools?

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos