Select to view content in your preferred language

Model Builder Will Not Recognize Updates to Coded Domains

10-05-2010 02:41 PM
ColinWilliams
New Contributor
Hello,

I have built a fairly complex model using Model Builder that uses an input geodatabase and second empty output geodatabase to capture the processed data.  The input geodatabase is a personal database that uses a coded domain that has around 60 values and the output geodatabase is just an empty personal geodatabase that is created each time the model is run. The problem is from time to time I need to update or modify the coded domain, but when ever I run the model after changing the domain, the model still uses the old version of the domain.  So my input geodatabase will have the proper domain table assigned to and after the model runs the output database will have the old version of the domain assigned to it.  It seems that Model Builder is storing the old version of the domain and just won let go of it.  To get around this I have had to repath the model everytime there is a change in the domain, but since my model is so large this takes some time to do. 

Does anyone know how or where Model Builder would store a coded domain or how to "refresh" Model Builder to recognize the new domain without repathing?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colin
GIS Analyst
Austin TX
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColinWilliams
New Contributor
Hi,

Just wanted to add an update.  I still have not figured out how to get around this issue with out repathing, but I have discovered that some tools need to be repathed and others do not.  Tools that have the 'field map' option (merge, append, etc.) must be removed and added again, whereas tools such as buffer or intersect do not. 

Thanks for reading,

Colin
0 Kudos
BBicking1
Esri Contributor
Hi Colin,

What version of ArcGIS are you using?
ModelBuilder has a Validate tool that updates changes you made to your model.
Also, did you set the 'Store relative path' option on the MBldr properties dialog?
What do you mean by 'repathing'?
See what happens when you output to a FileGDB?

Barbara
Geoprocessing Team
0 Kudos
ColinWilliams
New Contributor
Barbara,

I am using version 9.3.1. 

I have tried using the validate tool, but it doesn't work for this and I do have the model set to realative paths.

By repathing I mean I have to open each individual feature class input and remap the file location.  Then I have to delete any merge or append tools and replace them with a new version of that tool.

I'll try outputting to a file geodatabase and let you know what happens.

Thank you for the response,

Colin
0 Kudos
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II
Barbara,

I am using version 9.3.1. 
By repathing I mean I have to open each individual feature class input and remap the file location.  Then I have to delete any merge or append tools and replace them with a new version of that tool.

try using a feature class or dataset variable for the input and placing the variable name in all your input boxes, that way if you have to refresh the input file or workspace you won't have to refresh each input box just validate your model
0 Kudos