Model Builder Tool that.....

Jump to solution
07-31-2013 09:50 AM
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
Hi folks. I think this is an easy task but I'm not sure how to go about it.
I have a shapefile made up of polygons, and I'm trying to use just one of the fields from its attribute table.
Below is a copy of the attribute table:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26355[/ATTACH]
And I need to know what tool would list the Field_Acre on Model Builder. This field will then be joined to another output table. I'm thinking something similar to the Get Field Value tool except instead of reporting just the first row value, the tool would output the entire field, just as shown in the attribute table.
Any suggestion welcome.
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
Well, what I ended up doing is creating a raster file of the information held in that attribute table and then, using the Zonal Statistics as Table tool, I was able to get an output table with this (field area in acres) information.
If anyone knows a more direct way of listing field information from an attribute table using Model Builder, please let me know.
Cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
Well, what I ended up doing is creating a raster file of the information held in that attribute table and then, using the Zonal Statistics as Table tool, I was able to get an output table with this (field area in acres) information.
If anyone knows a more direct way of listing field information from an attribute table using Model Builder, please let me know.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
ChristopherThompson
Occasional Contributor III
Cheers.

Is there a reason you cannot simply use the Add_Join or Join Field tools (in toolbox these are under the DataManagement\Joins toolset) to join the table containing Field_Acre to the table you want this associated with? Creating a raster and generating a table as you have seems like a lot of additional steps and potentially extra storage costs depending on how big the dataset is.
0 Kudos
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
When I try the Add Join tool, for some reason it deactivates the other Zonal Statistics as Table tools that are attached to the Shapefile.

The table to which the "Field_Acre" attribute field is to be joined will not join as the input and so therefore, the Selection Feature set shapefile must be the input. In doing so however, the other zonal tools lose the info. required to run.
0 Kudos
AliciaMein
New Contributor III
When I try the Add Join tool, for some reason it deactivates the other Zonal Statistics as Table tools that are attached to the Shapefile.

The table to which the "Field_Acre" attribute field is to be joined will not join as the input and so therefore, the Selection Feature set shapefile must be the input. In doing so however, the other zonal tools lose the info. required to run.

I used the <Make Feature Layer> tool to get my feature class to a layer file for input into the <Add Join> tool.  An extra step which seem ridiculous.  If anyone knows a better workflow I would love to hear.  The <Make Feature Layer> did work for me.
0 Kudos
ChristopherThompson
Occasional Contributor III
I used the <Make Feature Layer> tool to get my feature class to a layer file for input into the <Add Join> tool.  An extra step which seem ridiculous.  If anyone knows a better workflow I would love to hear.  The <Make Feature Layer> did work for me.

This is a good point - there are many tools that require a feature layer rather than a feature class on disk in order to work.  If you read the help for the Joins tools these specifically mention using a layer as opposed to a feature class.  Its less clear to me about a stand alone table; if both your input datasets are feature classes try making feature layers out of them and see if that works for you.
0 Kudos