Model Builder/ArcGIS crash using Spatial Join in a model

09-07-2011 12:56 PM
MartyAnderson
New Contributor
I'm trying to create a simple model that performs a spatial join of a dem (points, target features) to catch basins (points, join features). I'm doing a One-to-One join with the Closest option. I can perform the join with no issues using the Spatial Join tool in the toolbox, but anytime I try to do this within a model in model builder, ArcMap crashes. I'm using ArcGIS 10 and it doesn't appear to be a ram issue.

I've searched the forums for similar problems and haven't found anything....

Any thoughts or remarks would be appreciated.

Marty Anderson
0 Kudos
23 Replies
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you have any 10 service pack installed?
0 Kudos
MartyAnderson
New Contributor
I have SP2 installed yes
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Marty,

Could you share a set of dummy data? I cannot repro with my own point to point data. Thanks.
0 Kudos
SanderFox
New Contributor
Did this issue get resolved? I'm having similar problems with running functions from within the Model Builder. This computer has SP1 installed and the system admin won't be installing an update anytime soon 😞 The odd thing is, it used to work just fine. Is it a memory issue or something? Thanks for the help!

Sander
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please be little more specific on your data (size, how many features in target and join featur classes) and Spatial Join parameters? Are you modifying the field map or keeping the default? Is it JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE or JOIN_ONE_TO_MANY? Keep_all? As I cannot repro it locally I'm trying to mimic your scenario. Best would be if you could share your data.
0 Kudos
SanderFox
New Contributor
I was not doing a Spatial Join, but was using other functions in the Model Building. However, I managed to fix the problem. It turned out to be an extent problem. After reprojecting my DEM, I had not yet updated my model properties to account for the changes. That's what caused the crashes for me. Maybe Marty had the same problem.

All the best,
Sander
0 Kudos
PeterHevenor
New Contributor II
I am having the same issue, when trying to use the Match Option CLOSEST in model builder arcmap crashes. On its own Spatial join preforms as expected. any help would be appreciated.

JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE
Keep All target Features: True

I have sp3 installed.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
@Marty:
With 10 sp3 I still cannot repro it on my machine (XP).

Little more info will be helpful:
Feature geometry of target and number of features
Feature geometry of join and number of features
Your operating system and RAM
0 Kudos
BrianBatten
New Contributor
I am having the same issue, when trying to use the Match Option CLOSEST in model builder arcmap crashes. On its own Spatial join preforms as expected. any help would be appreciated.

JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE
Keep All target Features: True

I have sp3 installed.

Did you ever solve the issue?  I'm having same problem w/ closest spatial join in Model Builder 10, SP3.
0 Kudos