Locating Multiple point features (Lan/Lat).

03-17-2013 02:50 AM
ganeshnarim
New Contributor II
Hello Experts,

I'm very new to this forum and ArcGIS,i have given a task is to find all locations using Lan/Lat all are in xls sheet. what i did is i added that file into arc map and i exported and added as a layer file, the problem is i couldn't search the layer using search tool and one error came when i do this process i.e " there is no OBJ-ID...couldn't search..etc" so i'm stuck here. please help some one to do this process.
and i need one more idea how can i simply find from xls with link to arc-map (as we are using hyper links in our xls).

or any better way to do this because i have hundreds of locator points to locate and need to check manually in arcmap.

Thanks In Advance
Ganesh N
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Ganesh

Export your XY event layer to a feature class or shapefile, that will create the ObjectID field.

Regards
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
If you import the shape file into a geodatabase it will create an Object ID for you. That would get you around that part of the problem.
0 Kudos
ganeshnarim
New Contributor II
Hi Ganesh

Export your XY event layer to a feature class or shapefile, that will create the ObjectID field.

Regards

Thanks bruce, I've already exported as a shape file and it's having OBJ_ID after doing this process but still search tool couldn't find particular field in that table. i was testing on other tables searching is working properly there. i'm confusing what happened in this shape file. i was called my senior mentor he was saying that everything seems to be fine but Some times search tool is not working properly but i'm not satisfy with this, i want to search my shape file like a existing table. please help me.

Thanks
Ganesh N
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Try importing the shape file into a geodatabase and see if that make a difference.
0 Kudos