linear features and hyperlink to construction drawings

Jump to solution
05-14-2012 11:49 AM
DanielErklauer
New Contributor III
I have a construction drawing for underground utilities and the document is several hundred pages long.  Is it possible to create a hyperlink so that as I click along my line representing my utility it jumps to a certain page of the document for that section of the pipeline?  I know how to jump to pages of documents for a point but a linear feature is not as straight forward, but I am not sure how to do this for a linear feature.

My line is one long linear feature and my document is a scanned image. What I have come up with so far is I will have to go through the document and note the page range for each 100ft segment. But after that I am not sure what the best approach is.

I have access to the following versions:

Version: Esri 10.0
ArcView license

ArcInfo 9.3 Arcinfo

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Placing attributes on parts of an undivided line is the domain of Dynamic Segmentation, which comes with the Network Analyst extension.

Network Analyst, however, is likely a bit pricy for what you need to do.

If you don't want to break up your linear feature (which is quite understandable), you may instead want to make a dummy index layer for use in ArcMap. That layer (which might be lines or polygons made from buffering the lines) would be divided on the document section breaks, and attributed with the hyperlinks. If you symbolize the features with No Color, they will be invisible, but if they were at the top of the TOC, they would be selected when the user clicked on one.

Maybe not a great work-around, but possible...

(and I will refrain from making a pun on "...a linear feature [that] is not as straight [as a point]...")

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Placing attributes on parts of an undivided line is the domain of Dynamic Segmentation, which comes with the Network Analyst extension.

Network Analyst, however, is likely a bit pricy for what you need to do.

If you don't want to break up your linear feature (which is quite understandable), you may instead want to make a dummy index layer for use in ArcMap. That layer (which might be lines or polygons made from buffering the lines) would be divided on the document section breaks, and attributed with the hyperlinks. If you symbolize the features with No Color, they will be invisible, but if they were at the top of the TOC, they would be selected when the user clicked on one.

Maybe not a great work-around, but possible...

(and I will refrain from making a pun on "...a linear feature [that] is not as straight [as a point]...")
0 Kudos