joining polylines

03-31-2013 12:26 PM
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III
Hello,
could you please help me to join two features (geometry type: polyline), knowing that these datasets do no have common parts (they are disjoint)? Which ArcGIS tool would be appropriate to solve this problem?

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes,
Malgosia
0 Kudos
13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Malgosia,

You could perform a spatial join.  This tool will allow you to specify a search radius and the attributes from the one polyline shapefile will be joined to the other.
0 Kudos
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III
Hello,
thank your for your advice.
I have performed a spatial join, but unfortunately I have not received desireable results. The output feature class is the same as one of the input feature classes (thin_shp_Ob17.shp), defined as input data in the 'target features' field of the spatial join tool.

Could you please let me know what I should do to join these polylines properly?

I would be grateful for your help.

Best wishes,
Malgosia
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Are you looking to merge these two shapefiles together?  You can do this using the Merge tool.
0 Kudos
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III
I am looking to join them, but in such a way, that the the thin_shp_ob17.shp would contain the Line_from_Point feature class.
Merge is not a good tool , because it gives one feature class consisting of both input datasets (thin_shp_ob17.shp and Line_from_Point.shp) with no change of geometry of the thin_shp_ob17 feature class).
0 Kudos
TarunJaiswal
Esri Contributor
Greetings Malgosia!

Check out the Snap tool.

You will at least need ArcGIS for Desktop Standard License Level to run this tool.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
How about single-part to multi-part?
0 Kudos
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III
Hello,
concerning snap tool, it is not good solution as it allows only for manual movement of points or vertives- I need a tool which could process data automatically.

Best wishes,
Malgosia
0 Kudos
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III
Do you mean multipart to singlepart?
It is also not good, because I need exactly an opposite result to the given by this tool.
Does ArcGIS have the singlepart to multipart tool?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
I meant single-part to multi-part. See this link. It might help. I don't have time to test this.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8942-singlepart-to-multipart
0 Kudos