Iterate Near Tool

Jump to solution
12-22-2014 03:01 PM
GinaDarin
New Contributor II

I used ModelBuilder to build a tool using the Iterate Near Tool. Granted, this was a while ago (couple years). I opened the model today expecting to use it, and got a red "X" over the model and inside the model over the "Iterate Near" tool.  I searched for the tool in the toolbox and it seems to have disappeared.  Does anyone know what happened to the Iterate Near tool or what replaced it?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When I search for "Iterate Near" I find a blog post: Finding the nearest feature with the same attributes | ArcGIS Blog in which the a sub model called Iterate Near is mentioned:

IterateNearSubModel.png

Are you sure it is a single tool or a model loaded as tool?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
XanderBakker

When I search for "Iterate Near" I find a blog post: Finding the nearest feature with the same attributes | ArcGIS Blog in which the a sub model called Iterate Near is mentioned:

IterateNearSubModel.png

Are you sure it is a single tool or a model loaded as tool?

0 Kudos
GinaDarin
New Contributor II

Hi, Xander.

You're right.  The model you found on the blog was a model that Esri built for me after bringing up an issue with the Near Tool to the Tech Support folks at the Esri UC. The Iterate Near tool was the submodel. It turns out my problem was that the submodel got disconnected from the main model, and the "Iterate Near" submodel had the red X.  I reconnected the model and it works.  I appreciate you replying to my posts.  As an occassional GIS user, I tend to forget how things work and really appreciate the gentle reminders.

Take care,

Gina

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If the post is answered, could you mark it as such. This helps other users find useful content.

Thanx!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey Gina-  I just downloaded the iterate near tool box.  I have a feature class of address points that has a common field with a feature class of street centerlines.  I need another attribute from the centerlines to appear correctly on the points.

I figured out the Near By Group model easily enough (I think), with respect to filling in the feature class names etc, but I'm a bit stymied with the sub model.   I'm assuming that the first Parameters of Input Features and Group Field(s) are passed to it from the Near by Group model.  Is that correct?  And for that matter are all the other Parameters passed into the sub model from the main model?

Where then should I put the street centerlines feature class?  In the Near Tool itself?  I'll keep hacking at this and see if I can get it to go.

Thanks in advance!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
GinaDarin
New Contributor II

Hi, Joe.  I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to help you. In my initial post, I should've given credit where credit was due.  Esri Tech Support Staff built this tool for me after I came to them with a question on how to build it at the Esri UC.  The original question I posed was to identify the nearest neighbor with the same attribute (in my case, a plant name) in a point shapefile (in my case, of many points of many different plant names). This was needed because the existing Near Tool would identify the nearest neighboring point (of any plant name). The Iterate tool in the submodel allowed the model to repeat the process for each plant name.  It's been long enough that I don't remember how it all works together.

The blog entry in Xander's post above that accompanied the model did a good job of explaining the model and I was able to use it successfully on my project. Good luck playing with the model. If you have more questions about how it works, I hope someone from Esri is able to respond to you.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Gina-  I can get the model to run on a small set of address points. The bummer is only 39 of the 220 points match up with the correct street.  So it works....  Sort of.

When I look at the points that are mismatched and the correct street is right there!  Typically adjacent to the the one it selects. I'll keep poking and prodding.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos