Is it possible to update a Buffer FC when creating new features?

09-23-2013 03:49 AM
LigiaGafitescu
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Is there a way I can update the results of my Buffer analysis? I have a roads FC ,and I've build a buffer for it. But I will still make edits to the road FC. Let's say I add a new segment of road, how can I automatically buffer the new segment without creating a new buffer FC?

I use ArcGIS 10.1

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hey Ligia,

I think the only way to do this is select the new segment, use the buffer tool and then append it to your buffer FC.

What do you use the buffer for?

Tim
0 Kudos
LigiaGafitescu
Occasional Contributor
Hey Ligia,

I think the only way to do this is select the new segment, use the buffer tool and then append it to your buffer FC.

What do you use the buffer for?

Tim

Thanks for the quick reply,

So basically the answer is NO 🙂
I use the buffer to select addresses inside the buffer. But the purpose of the automatic update of the buffer is mainly for display purposes.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Did you maybe think about creating a model that you can run whenever you want to update your buffer? You could even set it up to run automatically at night.

Just create your model with model builder, export it to python and then run the python script using Windows Task Scheduler.

I maintain dispatch maps, and instead of a buffer I just make the lines thicker, which looks pretty good.
0 Kudos